Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Things We Should Know...

On the 100 List by Poynter Institute, number 14 stood out to me. I like that they mention that words are not always the best way to get your point across. It's ok to include pictures, charts or other non-words to "write" your story because sometimes this other form of communication will do a better job than using a bunch of words to explain it.

The most important theme I've seen so far in Edna Buchanan's book is bravery. She doesn't explicitly say bravery is important, maybe she doesn't even think she's being abnormally brave, but her actions definitely do. Being the only woman on many sites, or continuing on a story when others tell her to give up, or going into scary territory-all theses things are brave and all these things have furthered her journalism career.

At the top of Poynter's 100, not in the numbered section, is the quote of an online post: "Give voice to those who cannot make themselves heard." I like this because it emphasizes writing about new subjects, something unusual or the people who aren't commonly represented by journalists. It also connects to immersion journalism, which I love the concept of since it's usually about a person/subject that's unheard.

No comments:

Post a Comment